split screen camper vans

perhaps I should have added VW and you'd have all known what I was talking about. . .
.


I went on my best childhood holiday, with the Brown family from down the road, when I was twelve, in one. . . we toured North Eastern France

the Brown family comprised a father, a mother and three daughters, one my age one younger one older, but even with the roof up (as in the following image)
.


there wasn't enough room to sleep six (two sling beds each side of the main part of the van, in the roof space, a single across the front seats and a double at the back on the sofa), so we had to take it in turns to sleep in a little tent outside. . .

it was the most brilliant time; it was Mr Brown's birthday during the holiday and each of the Brown Girls had made him something which we devoured during the three weeks we were away: banana cake, fruit cake and some fudge. . .

Mrs Brown used to like taking us to see ancient French churches and hiring bicycles in small French country villages (or borrowing them, if there were none to hire) and making us cycle up steep hills in the midday sun to picnic at some peak with an incredible view. . .

she took us shoping in French markets and treated us to crepe, made in front of our eyes and covered in butter and sugar, or strawberry jam. . .

I could go on for hours, but I'm sleepy and groggy and think I might just tuck up with my memories and try and have a nice dream (had another nightmare last night) (it included eating watermelon covered in fragments of glass) (the new meds have a lot to answer for, but perhaps a nightmare is a small price to pay for a small degree of sanity?)

for years XCH and I discussed buying a VW camper van - he even joined the Splitty Club and we'd spend hours pouring over the magazine comparing the prices and conditions of the buses for sale while I dreampt of sewing seat covers and mathcing curtains, knitting rugs and making blankets and acquiring vintage kitchen paraphenalia for picnics on the beach. . .

pipe dreams, I believe, is the phrase

better than the nightmares I'm currently having tho, I guess

10 comments:

mig bardsley said...

One of my best friends has an ancient battered VW camper Van. They travel together in a very stately fashion :) But not far because neither of them is as young as they was.
Are as young as they were.

Hope you dreamed of good things.
xxx

(I assume I must have dreamed up the little foreign car with an opening front windscreen then)

Rimshot said...

Jesus In A Camper Van Lyrics
Artist(Band):Robbie Williams

We've got a live one, featherweight icon
Heroes let 'im down so he sleeps with the light on
And there's nothin' left to do but kneel down and pray
Sail away with Caesar if you're a non believer
Everybody get high if you're a diamond geezer
It's the devil that needs ya so go out and play

Blame yourself it's easier
There's no need to trouble her you trouble her
My heart is starved of love

Jesus in a camper van he said sorry to leave you but I've done all I can
I suppose even the son of God gets it hard sometimes
Especially when he goes round
Saying I am the way

And now it's four in the mornin' yes yes y'all in
No one can shoot but everybody's scoring
Trust me it's boring get down and pray

They told you not to meddle with the bass and the treble
There's dust on your needle and you think that
You're a rebel

You're Evel Knievel so get down and pray
Blame yourself it's easier
There's no need to trouble her you trouble her

Jesus in a camper van he said sorry to leave you but I've done all I can
I suppose even the son of God gets it hard sometimes
Especially when he goes round
Saying I am the way

I am the way, I am the way, I am the way
I am, I am, I am, I am, I am, I am the way

Jesus in a camper van he said sorry to leave you but I've done all I can
I suppose even the son of God gets it hard sometimes
Jesus in a camper van he said sorry to leave you but I've done all I can
I suppose even the son of God gets it hard sometimes

Blame yourself it's easier, there's no need to trouble her
Blame yourself it's easier, there's no need to trouble her

Jesus in a camper van he said sorry to leave you but I've done all I can
I suppose even the son of God gets it hard sometimes
Jesus in a camper van he said sorry to leave you but I've done all I can
I suppose even the son of God gets it hard sometimes

Z said...

I had a teacher with a van like that. It was pale green and yellow and known as The Breadbin.

Not just like that, it would have been made in about 1960.

I'm glad things are a bit better with the meds, keep on with the happy dreams and not the nightmares.

I, Like The View said...

z thank you

mig I do think there is a French car with a split screen - perhaps a version of the Renault Quatre? or maybe even those Citroen Diannes?

but for me it could only be a splitty (but perhaps with a new engine and no rust!!)

shot I obviously haven't listened to enough Robbie. . . thank you! good evening, as it is here now

Gordie said...

My bro-in-law used to have a yellow and white SSVWCV. He called it Vincent.

((((ILTV))))

Anonymous G said...

My ex-husband used to have a Pop-Top VW camper. (a bit newer...no split window) He still does, as a matter of fact...

When we were dating and while the kids were small, we would take it beach camping. Such fun. (Well, as much fun as it could have been with him along).

It had real wood cabinets and lots of nooks and crannies.

His son. MY son was meant to be given the camper when he was old enough. Well, he's LONG since been old enough, and the van still sits. In the driveway at the home where his father lives. I know what you mean about pipe dreams.

That was a happy tale, huh?

Well, what I meant to say was "COOL Van, dude!"

(I don't really talk like that - but I am from California!)
:-)

(Wishing you sweeter dreams...)

Mel said...

WAY cool van, dude!

k......
<--is from Iowa where we don't have things like that.

Tractors with canopy's, yes....popup VW's...ummmmm...not so much.....

But--it IS way cool.
(thinkin' I need to skip the 'dude' part and we'll be good!)

Sweet dreams.
And rainbow wishes, always.....

Malcolm Cinnamond said...

Very cool splittie in the top pic. Myself and The Boy are always plotting to buy one and go off surfing. Two problems: 1. Sal's disapproval, 2. The fact that we now live 800 miles apart (maybe we could work out a 3-monthly rota).

I, Like The View said...

malc try and find a way to get Sal involved in the project. . .

?

:-)

or buy her a snazzy little MGB soft top, so she could speed along past you on the motorway, laughing her head off and ferrying you supplies when your camper has broken down for the umpteenth time. . .

;-)

mel I always wanted to be a dude, so that suits me just fine - thank you, dearheart

XX

anon I have always wanted to drive down the coast road of California from Canada to Baja, I'm starting to think if I ever make it I might have to lok you up on the way. . .

. . .if that was OK with you!

:-)

(I have campervan story envy, even tho yours doesn't quite have the happy ending you might have foreseen at one stage in your life)

gordie Vincent is a great name, and reminds me of one of my favourite songs, as you well know; and for anyone hugging me, you well know it works both ways - I hope you know that anyhow

XX

Anonymous G said...

Look me up! :-)