i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday; this is the birth
day of life and of love and wings:and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any--lifted from the no
of all nothing--human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

ee cummings

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I caught this morning morning's minion, king-
dom of daylight's dauphin, dapple-dawn-drawn Falcon, in his riding
Of the rolling level underneath him steady air, and striding
High there, how he rung upon the rein of a wimpling wing
In his ecstasy! then off, off forth on swing,
As a skate's heel sweeps smooth on a bow-bend: the hurl and gliding
Rebuffed the big wind. My heart in hiding
Stirred for a bird, - the achieve of, the mastery of the thing!

Brute beauty and valour and act, oh, air, pride, plume, here
Buckle! AND the fire that breaks from thee then, a billion
Times told lovelier, more dangerous, O my chevalier!

No wonder of it: sheer plod makes plough down sillion
Shine, and blue-bleak embers, ah my dear,
Fall, gall themselves, and gash gold-vermilion.

-- Gerard Manley Hopkins

Anonymous said...

OK, that didn't publish like I wanted it to, so here is a link to how it should have come out...The Windhover

C:)

I, Like The View said...

thank you, that is beautiful!

:-)

Dave said...

'now the eyes of my eyes are opened'

If only.

I, Like The View said...

I thought of you when I found this yeasterday and almost posted it in your comment column

but then thought you might like to read it here. . .

it was for you dave, get well soon

XXX

Mel said...

It IS beautiful....might haffta steal it.....

*sending get well wishes to dave*

mig bardsley said...

I didn't realise ee cummings was so lyrical, always thoiught he was more of a cynical type. Obviously my education needs enlarging. Gorgeous poem.
(I love Gerard Manley Hopkins)