millennium

for my 1,000th piece. . .

. . .I'd like to share with you (one of whom will be the ♫♪ musical ♪♫ b♥x's, 15,000th visitor. . .) one of my favourite paintings

I only have a postcard of it. . . the postcard came from Norway, many many years ago (long story - not one for a place like this). . . I've never quite been able to make out the artist's signature. . . I've tried looking for it on the internet many times. . . this time I was determined to find it!

so, my quest started with what I did know - an exhibition of Norwegian art I saw at The Hayward Gallery, sometime in the mid 1980s. . .

called Dreams of A Summer Night. . .

. . .which took me to the artist Kitty Lange Kielland,
and other paintings from
the National Museum of Art in Oslo. . .

. . .I can't remember why or where,
but from there I somehow managed to segue thru
The Princess and The Pea. . .
.

. . .via some lovely windows and shadows. . .

to Scandinavian folk tales. . .

where I finally tracked down the name of one of the characters I sought: Kvitebjorn Kong Valemon, which led me to an approximate image of what I was looking for
.

and somehow. . .
I then found them:


(-:

12 comments:

Rimshot said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-Bear-King-Valemon

I'd make a linky thing, but as you know...

)-:

additionally: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102247/

katherine. said...

One thousand...thank you for sharing all of it with us!

I love the little journey you took to find your painting....


well done Rim!

I, Like The View said...

thanks shot. . . that is a better version of the painting

am not sure about the film. . .

katherine I really like the princess and the pea image actually! had forgotten how much I love Dulac's illustrations

(altho funnily enough yesterday I found a box containing my small collection of antiquarian books, mainly fairy tale books with beautiful tipped in illustration plates)

if you like Dulac, check out more of his work here:

http://dulac.artpassions.net/

Anonymous G said...

Dreams of a Summer Night is positively dreamy...

Lucious colors in The Princess and The Pea...

I love the light and shadows in the windows...


Thanks for sharing your art with me. I know nothing 'bout art, but I do know what I like :)

xo
Happy 1,000!
am I 15,000??

Mel said...

15,000 visitors?!
HOLY moly.....

Yup--the bear is a keeper. And it really was an awesome journey to bring us to him and her.

And I do love the princess and the pea print. Thinkin' it's the quilts that do it for me.

<-- apparently a sucker for a good quilt print?

Oh, but I'm glad you persevered!! :-)

(kinda hoping G's the 15,000)
Congratulations on the 1,000th, btw!

Dave said...

15,000 different vistors? Or just Mel coming here regularly?

I, Like The View said...

mainly the regulars dave, (and the non-commenting lurkers), altho there are quite a few people still seeking the hidden meaning to the insides of the Galaxy wrappers and some wanting to know more about Peter Sarstetd's follow up song to Where Do You Go To My Lovely, Last of the Breed. . .

funnily enough your birthday blog get 10-15 visitors a day!

Mel I love the quilts too - very much! it's been a long time since I've made a quilt. . . the next one I do will be based on a Klimpt, I have decided that much. . .

g I'm glad you like some of what I like

(-:

Mel said...

Okay, okay, okay.....*laughing*

He might have a point.
MIGHT mind you.

<-- creature of habit

<-- creature of habit wishing you a good Wednesday morning!

I, Like The View said...

it's quality that counts mel, not quantity

<------ is very glad you got (one of) your package(s)

really really really really glad you liked it!!!

AND very glad you opened it NOW and didn't save it for later on in December. . .

I, Like The View said...

:-D

you've brought a smile to my face this Wednesday morning - a big one

tyvvvvvvvvvvm

Anonymous said...

Ooh! A Klimt Quilt! Fabulous idea!
And what a heavenly, beautiful journey through Scandinavia :) (Mostly Scandinavia?)

Sorrow said...

I humbly apologize, but early is not in my vocabulary..
I am good with left overs.
These were a lovely montage..
I'm off to follow the rims links..
Adoring fan of folk tales!
( that i am !)