"An yll wynde that blowth no man to good, men say."

"the use of ill wind is most commonly in the phrase 'it's an ill wind that blows nobody any good': this is first recorded in
John Heywood's A dialogue conteinyng the nomber in effect of all the prouerbes in the Englishe tongue, 1546"


it's windy today, I can't even light my cigarette on the wraparound balcony and I had to wear a waterproof jacket to keep the breeze from freezing my to my bones

the late summer sun has gone and the sky is full of clouds, scurrying south; on the river a flock of seagulls face up stream while floating downstream (I can't tell if they are paddling furiously under the water or just going with the flow); there are also a cormorants - in numbers I've not seen in all the time I've been here

and a single swan

a small tug boat pulls a huge houseboat down the river, perhaps to new moorings?

the people way below me on the piazza are dressed up against the cold - no more girls in skimpy floral dresses or short shorts and strappy t-shirts; I need to get going, I've a busy day ahead

whatever the weather
where you are,
I hope you have
a productive day

3 comments:

Mel said...

Gosh. I'm there with ya.......

:-)

Pretty darn good writings when you can take someone with you, dont'cha think?

I especially liked the tugboat. (go figure...)

Rimshot said...

I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A bird will fall frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.
~D. H. Lawrence

Anonymous said...

I'm there too.
Beautiful, telling description. I want to hear more of the story.
I hope you had a good day. You made it sound hopeful.
xxxx