the poem is a good one for this morning

after yesterday's heat haze the sun disappeared into skies filled with rainclouds and we had two great storms, thunder, lightning, buckets and buckets of rain (one of those "a month's worth of rain fell in an hour" times), gutters and drains overflowed, I got soaked. . .

today it is "as clear as a bell" (as my mother would have said) which makes me think of the church bells I often hear from a church on the other side of the river and tuning forks

if I were a bell
and someone tapped me with a tuning fork,
I wonder how clear my sound would be. . .

. . .what frequency

the sun's light is shining so brightly in its reflection in the mirrored surface of the river that I can't look at the water directly

*

as I was having my morning cuppa and first fag out on the balcony something disturbed the birds on the shore below me - a whole flock flew up at once, and the wondrous thing was that there were white seagulls and grey/black pigeons all intermingled as the flock rose up into the air and then, as if by magic (now I'm thinking of Mr Ben), they separated out and divided into two flocks - seagulls and pigeons - and each went in a different direction

(I was on a plane with A Flock of Seagulls, in 1982 - I didn't know who they were being an Abba and Beatles kinda girl at that stage but the air-hostesses were very excited - however, I don't think to this day that I have ever heard one of their songs; maybe I should go have a listen?) (after my first coffee of the day and second ciggie, perhaps)

I'm hoping that
you
have a day with a little wonder in it. . .

8 comments:

Greg said...

Rather jealous that you've had a storm, even two. We had a fairly heavy drizzle in the early hours but that's it.

I, Like The View said...

the rain was incredible

the sort of rain that makes you want to strip off and go dancing naked

and then wrap up in a huge soft towel in front of a warm fire with a cup of something steamy

Mel said...

We had a clear blue sky and brilliant sunshine....reminding me of the winter to come, no doubt.

*sigh* I'm not gonna mention that some of our sugar maples are already starting to turn.

k....I love fall.
I love fall.
I really and truly love fall.

Did we have a summer? LOL

Gordie said...

I wonder what does happen if you hit a bell with a tuning fork? Because they'll both make a sound, and they might not be in the same key...

I, Like The View said...

oh, gordie, you know what I mean - surely

I knew I didn't mean tuning fork when I wrote it, I just didn't know what do you hit a bell with to achieve that timbre that indicates if the bell has been forged (and I know that that's not the right word either) properly (and I can't blame the ECT anymore, really can I)(just down-right ill-education)(ok, so I spotted a typo chez toi, and now you're taking your revenge in a cruel and teasing manner)(I think I'm going to go sob in a corner somewhere)

;-)

mel I don't think we had a summer, either - but, I do love maples and the other trees as they turn. . .

is that a fair balance?

$-)

Greg said...

Bells are "cast". I know this.

I, Like The View said...

that is the word I was grappling with. . .

thanks

(how do you know? ever cast one. . . a bell ringer, perchance? I'm thinking of seeing if I can become one. . .)

mig bardsley said...

But I think you must have some kind of tuning fork to test if the bell is in tune - they are tuned aren't they? Otherwise you couldn't ring peals. And then if it was in tune you'd get both bell and fork singing together and if not you'd get a dissonance.
And if you were the bell, you'd ring true and the tuning fork would sing.