which reminds me of this. . .

.
"Oranges and lemons" say the bells of St. Clement's
"You owe me five farthings" say the bells of St. Martin's
.
.
"When will you pay me?" say the bells of Old Bailey
"When I grow rich" say the bells of Shoreditch
"When will that be?" say the bells of Stepney
"I do not know" say the great bells of Bow
.
Here comes a candle to light you to bed
Here comes a chopper to chop off your head
Chip chop chip chop - the last man's dead

TRADITIONAL


(The place names relate to London churches, the tune is the sound of the ringing of church bells. The last 3 lines refer to the Bow bells which were used to time the execution by beheading at Newgate prison. The condemmed would wait on 'Death Row'; the night before the execution the 'candle to light you to bed' told of their imminent fate and that it was time to make peace with God. Executions commenced when the bells started chiming at nine o'clock in the morning and when the bells stopped chiming the executions would be finished until the following day.)

6 comments:

Mel said...

Gee......what a wonderful rhyme to give to small children....

*shaking head*

This one--I'd never heard before. I'll haffta ask himself!

Gordie said...

Executions never make me think of Audrey Hepburn.

I, Like The View said...

gordie

London Bridge is falling down. . .
etc
. . .
. . .My Fair Lady

geddit now?

;-)

mel

ring-a-ring of roses,
a pocketfull of posies,
a-tishshoo, a tishshoo,
we all fall down. . .

is about The Black Death - the posies were to put over your nose to keep the stench of the dead at bay, the "a-tishshoo" is the sneezing that comes at the beginning of the illness (the plague), and "we all fall down" is dying of the disease

lovely things for children to sing about, huh

XX

Mel said...

Now, that one I knew cuz himself explained it to me....ick...what a thing to pass on to our kiddos as a 'fun' thing to play/chant.

And yaknow--when I'm angry I used to destroy things that meant something to me in my less angry moments....and when I'm not--I truly can be a creative person.
So you're not alone in the solutions--they're just needing to be replaced with different practices.
<--believes if she can so, can the rest of the world....including you.

*HUGE hugs*

*thinkin' about ya...*

mig bardsley said...

My Mum once destroyed a piano! She would have understood most exactly what you are feeling. I can only guess and be grateful that you are getting much better help than she did. Help, of course, only helps. It doesn't do the whole job of recovery!

I know you have a hard way to follow but I so hope you can believe it's worth it. It is worth hanging in there, really.

(((( I ))))

Gordie said...

I've grown accustomed to your blog...

"I've grown accustomed to the tune That she whistles night and noon.
Her smiles, her frowns,
Her ups, her downs
Are second nature to me now"

You are where you are (a space-age bachelor pad in the sky) and you're on your way to where you want to be.

((((I))))