an ericaceous commentary

now, let's get this straight, I don't really do "religion" or "sport" or "politics". . .

nor do I do "celebrity" (apart from when it's a film starry person or someone from the televisual box) (see below). . .

however, I've just read a piece in today's G2 about going from SAINT to MUSE to GOLD-DIGGER to EVIL STEPMOTHER to SECOND WIFE to HYSTERIC to WHORE. . .

(that's too Grimm, isn't it? I wonder what the Grauniad columnist was read at childhood bed times?)

and, I can tell you that I am but one step removed (oh, ok, a hop, if you must be cruel) from this woman, as indeed I am from the lovely Diana to whom she's been compared. . .

(not the same step, oh no - I have led a varied life and have taken many varied steps)

so, since I don't do "gossip" (in public, anyhow) (have some great stories, which I'll tell you next time we meet up - ok!) I won't tell you about that, but I will tell you this: I understand hysteria

it's when your back is up against the wall and you think/feel you have no options

the trick, dear reader, is to realise there is no wall: there are no bricks, there is no glass; no fence, no hurdles even; nor a hedge, neither a shrubbery - not behind you and not in front

take a deep breath and just one baby-step, and you'll find there are no walls anywhere - apart from the ones you (needlessly) put up around yourself

and that's all I have to say about that
.
*saunters off whistling the tune to Forrest Gump*

7 comments:

Greg said...

"Ericaceous" is a terrific word.....I must work it into conversation.

I, Like The View said...

try not to make it too acidic. . .

Gordie said...

"Ericaceous" means "belonging to the Heath family"... wot?

Gordie said...

That was such a dreadful, irresponsible article, I actually drafted a letter to the editor. Before breakfast, too. I didn't send it, but it was about the narrative conventions of celebrity gossip, and the fact that the Guardian writer had followed exactly the same conventions as The Sun, just put a different spin on it for Guardian readers to drool over, and paid no attention to the facts.

The judgment on the case is a really good read... you should download it.

Mel said...

*scratching head*

*shrugs and hums Mack the Knife*

;-)

Anonymous said...

re: hop

I don't know whether to moan or laugh.

I think I'll do both (not at the same time)

I, Like The View said...

shot it's not funny really, altho it did catapult the woman to fame of one sort or another

I'm a little ashamed of myself really for stoppping so low

:-(

mel I think that's the safest thing to do. . .

gordie my mother worked at the RHS at one stage, and loved her gardening - we used to watch Gardeners' World and she'd say all the Latin names for the plants before they came up on screen

I thought the article was cheap and missed a number of points, but the point about misogyny was interesting - and I fell for the same cheap trick with my "hop" comment; easily done, we're all human and like the sense of belonging; I just hope the woman does have some loyal friends, she's going to need them

and I know all about that